01. RR Amor Towles – Rules of Civility [30 for 30]
02. NEW Kim Edwards – The Memory Keeper’s Daughter [30 for 30]
03. RR Berlie Doherty – Tilly Mint & The Dodo [30 for 30]
04. RR Douglas Coupland – Girlfriend in a Coma [30 for 30]
05. RR Toby Litt – Journey Into Space [30 for 30]
06. RR Alice Sebold – The Lovely Bones [30 for 30]
07. NEW Jeffrey Eugenides – Middlesex [30 for 30]
08. NEW Lauren Beukes – The Shining Girls [30 for 30]
09. RR Douglas Coupland – Life After God [30 for 30]
10. NEW Maggie O’Farrell – Instructions for a Heatwave [30 for 30]
11. RR Stephen Clarke – A Year in the Merde [book club]
This month was the first full month of my 30 for 30 list, and I think I did pretty well at crossing a few of those books off my list. I read four of the books that I’ve been meaning to read forever, and six of my favourite favourites – a nice mix. I would have read more of the new books but, to be fair, the favourites are the ones that I already have on hand.
Of the new books, The Shining Girls was definitely my favourite. Tense, gripping and compelling I finished it in a day and described it to Amy as “A Stephen King version of The Time Traveler’s Wife” which I think is fairly accurate. I was really disappointed in The Memory Keeper’s Daughter – it was insipid and bland and I’m sorry I waited all those years to read it thinking it was going to be good. I enjoyed Middlesex but I feel like I need to re-read it to pick up on the intricacies of the plot.
Of the old books The Lovely Bones was as heart wrenching as ever, Rules of Civility took me back to 1930s New York all over again and the three Douglas Coupland books I read were as enjoyable to read now as they were the first times I picked them up.
We’re going on holiday to Greece for a week in a couple of weeks and my Kindle is already loaded up and ready to go. I can’t wait to have nothing better to do than lie in the shade and read as many books as I can. Bliss.