01. NEW William Gibson – Spook Country
02. RR Judy Blume – Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret
03. RR Judy Blume – Blubber
04. NEW Lauren Weisberger – Last Night at Chateau Marmont
05. RR Judy Blume – Starring Sally J Freedman, as Herself
06. NEW Haruki Murakami – After the Quake
07. RR Toby Litt – Exhibitionism
08. NEW Beverly Cleary – Ramona the Pest
09. NEW Beverly Cleary – Ramona The Brave
10. NEW Beverly Cleary – Ramona & Her Father
11. NEW Beverly Cleary – Ramona & Her Mother
12. NEW Beverly Cleary – Ramona Quimby, Age 8
13. NEW Beverly Cleary – Ramona Forever
14. NEW Beverly Cleary – Ramona’s World
15. NEW Lemony Snicket – A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Austere Academy
16. RR Lemony Snicket – A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Ersatz Elevator
17. NEW Caroline Smailes – Freaks
18. RR Lemony Snicket – A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Vile Village
I read a lot of childrens’ books in December because it was like snuggling under a warm duvet after being outside in the cold. I love childrens’ books, a lot. I thought I’d read the whole Ramona series but actually I think I must have just watched the TV series, because these weren’t familiar to me at all. Throw in some Judy Blume and Lemony Snicket and you’ve got yourself a perfect December in my eyes.
On the adult side, I’d forgotten just how good Exhibitionism was – really hoping that Toby Litt releases a new book soon now! Last Night at Chateau Marmont was complete and utter tosh, definitely not worth reading. After the Quake was the usual gentle Murakami weirdness (which I love) and Freaks missed the mark for me for the most part, but I’ve heard good things about Caroline Smailes so I’m willing to give her another shot. Onto the round up! :)
Best of 2013
Best new book in:
January: James Smythe – The Explorer
February: There were no standout new books in February. I only gave two 5* ratings and both of those were to re-reads.
March: March was the same. Lots of 3* ratings – nothing to write home about.
September: David Sedaris – The Santaland Diaries
October: John Green – The Fault in Our Stars
November: Ray Bradbury – Fahrenheit 451
December: The whole Ramona series.
Best book overall:
I zipped through this in a couple of hours. It was beautiful and heartfelt, painful and gut wrenching and ultimately a book I think I’ll re-read again and again. Bravo, John Green. Bravo.
Worst book overall:
God I hated this book. My mother liked it, the rest of our book group liked it but I absolutely couldn’t stand it.
The Time Traveler’s Wife. Always.
2013 Reading Stats
Number of books read: 126
Number of new books read: 73
Number of re-reads: 53
Number of pages read: 37,270
5* rated: 20
1* rated: 2
Fiction vs Non-fiction: 125 fiction, 10 non-fiction
Adult vs Childrens': 77 adult books, 49 kids books